The International Opera Composition Course ‘Giacomo Puccini’ is addressed to composers (both with or without an academic degree) willing to investigate thoroughly all compositional techniques in use in Opera writing today, focusing both on the Italian tradition and on the genre’s contemporary international developments.
The course’s aim is to hand down the great opera tradition, having as a target the creation of new operas, bridging the past and the future in a new and enthralling vision. At the end of the course all scores produced will be published by Edizioni Sconfinarte.
The International Opera Composition Course ‘Giacomo Puccini’, is held in Lucca (Italy), Monterrey (Mexico), Asunción (Paraguay), Tirana (Albania), Miskolc (Hungary). The course is in collaboration with the Puccini Foundation, International Chamber Opera Festival – WEC, Teatro del Giglio, Club Unesco – Lucca, Fondazione Banca del Monte di Lucca, Bartok plusz Miskolci Operafesztivál, Sconfinarte Edizioni.
Last year teachers:
– Opera composition: Girolamo Deraco (Composer, Artistic Director and Founder of the International Opera Composition Course ‘Giacomo Puccini’, Composer in Residence at the ‘Angelo di Montegral’ music-lab of Maestro Kuhn, Artistic Director of ‘Cluster – Association of Composers, Lucca’)
– Traditional operatic and contemporary singing: Maria Elena Romanazzi (Soprano)
– Opera conduction: Gergely Kesselyák (Principal Conductor of the Opera of Budapest)
– The theatre as a music box: Aldo Tarabella (Opera Director, Composer, Artistic Director of the Teatro del Giglio of Lucca)
– Music analysis: Antonio Agostini (Composer)